That means you will not be able to install windows nor games from your old disc collection. However, it has quite a lot of new features to compensate for the loss:
- 6 shareware games from 3D Realms, including famous titles like wolf3d, duke1, duke2, major striker. Thanks to the virtue of good old DOS games, the app is still very small.
- A super simple game launcher. You can play games without any knowledge about dos commands. All games are properly configured, so you don’t have to tweak dospad.cfg anymore. For expert users, you can still use command line to launch games and edit dospad.cfg right in app.
- Virtual gamepad/joystick. With iDOS 1.0, you may not be able to get to floor 3 in wolf3d, but now you can!
- Better landscape mode. And now iPhone has portrait mode interface.
- Bluetooth keyboard support. It is for text based games only.
iDOS 2.0 is free. Visit iDOS in AppStore.
1. For people who already own iDOS 1.0, please back up your binary before update.
2. iDOS runs best on iPad. Minimum Requirement: iPhone 3GS or later models.
3. An elder brother of iDOS, known as DOSPad, is living inside Cydia space.
Q: Why not submit it as a separate app?
A: First of all, if I had a better name for it, I’d definitely submit it as a new app More importantly, like many people commented on iDOS 1.0, it is not really that good to play. It is for retro gaming, so anyway we need an update to address the playability issue.
Update: I am convinced, I’ll see if we can have a separate app, everyone will be better off.
Update 2: iDOS is removed because the ability to run custom executable is violating the appstore policy.